Nothing illustrates this better than Stagecoach service 25. From the Travel South Yorkshire (aka South Yorkshire PTE, hereinafter abbreviated TSY) map we can glean a few points of passenger interest.
DARK BLUE), but the 25 runs via Spa Lane (or does it?). The two routes then diverge significantly ...
The routes merge at Manor Park and run together to Meadowhead. For non Sheffield residents that is from east of the City Centre to south.
From here the services diverge again ...
This confusing mixture of services was created (by consultants - who else?) "to improve bus services for the people of Sheffield" as part of the Sheffield Bus Partnership changes in November 2015. And we all know what a huge success that was. In the text above, fbb had hinted darkly at some of the problems of this pair of cobbled-together routes.
For once, First's timetable is straightforward ...
You may wonder why Fishponds Hastilar Road South and Bradway Longford Road are in the First list of time points when no buses go there.
And here is their timetable for buses from Woodhouse to Bradway (Bank).
This is extracted from their working timetable which is not published for the edification of passengers - thankfully - although the company often does upload its working timetables in the absence of anything better. And here are your "Mastermind" questions.
1. What time are the buses from Spa Lane (see map above)?
2. Why are there TWO time points at Woodhouse, only 3 minutes apart?
3. Where are the buses to Longford Road
4. Does this route run via Woodthorpe?
5. Which way does the bus go between Woodseats and Lowedges?
6. If this is "joint" with First 24 why is there a different "Manor Park"?
7. Ditto atWoodhouse?
8. Ditto at Woodseats?
9. Is Harborough Avenue the same as Centre Shops at Manor Park?
With the times for the opposite direction ....
10. What has happened to Old Mother Redcap?
11. What time are the buses from Longhford Road?
12. Which way does the bus go between Lowedges and Woodseats?
13. Does the bus go via Woodthorpe?
14. Where is Skelton Grove (see map - it isn't there)?
15. How is the ordinary member of the public ....
beep beep beep beep : I've started so I'll finish ...
... expected to make sense of all this?
Here is an extract of the "from Woodhouse" table.
Only SOME 25s run to Longfotd Road. There is no service in the early mornings, evenings and all day Sundays. And when they do go there, they don't call at Everard Avenue or/and Old Mother Redcap until AFTER Longford Road.
In the Other direction ...
As fbb wrote above:-
GoTimetable Sheffield has to sort out.
Have a look!