; so far, so good.
But in 1912 the line was extended. It crossed part of the estate that developed in to the Monte Tropical Gardens on a splendid viaduct ...
... which remains as a road with fine views of the luxurious tropicality.
Then comes the next station.
The was a substantial building with a metal shelter, later de-roofed just leaving the frame as glimpsed above the gaggle of eager passengers here..
Confusingly this station appears to have been called Largo da Fonte, the same name as the road leading to the original terminal one stop back along the line. Closer inspection of the road outside the station building reveals that is is ALSO called ...
And here, from a distance, is the train standing at the terminus and showing that a considerable amount of earthwork was necessary to get it there and get passengers to he train.
The present Terreiro da Luta building is decorated with some memorable blue and white glazed tile reproductions of Funchal and, specifically, the railway itself.
In case you wondered, it only ever had one locomotive and one carriage! But we can make a reasonable effort to recreate a map showing route and stations; and a visitor to Funchal can still trace the lines remnants nearly 75 years after closure.