St. Anthony's Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1835. Up to 1954 the lighthouse possessed a huge bell, as a fog signal, which hung outside the tower.
It was replaced by a modern fog horn positioned 10.7 metres above high water level on a platform. In the same year the lighthouse was connected to mains electricity. Saint Anthony’s Lighthouse was automated in 1987.
Some blog readers will remember the televisual delights of Fraggle Rock and its opening captions. Yes, that is St Anthony Head lighthouse.
Tour 1 via Falmouth (bus) and Ferry
In summer, boats leave either of the two quays every 15 minutes.
Total time One hour and 15 minutes
Total fbb cost £9.50 (ferry return)
bus fare unknown (see note below)
For those arriving at Truro by train, the Falmouth Branch Line beckons.
Tour 2 via Falmouth (train) and Ferry
Trains now run every 30 minutes thanks to a swish passing loop thingey at Penryn station opened in 2009. But it wasn't quite as simple as that. The old "up" platform (to Truro) has long since been disused and to reinstate it would have cost zillions of pounds for ramps, lifts and all such stuff. So the clever little people at Notwork Rail built an extra long platform.
The Dell was renamed again, this time to Falmouth Town on 15 May 1989.
It is a reasonable walk ...
Total time One hour
Total fbb cost £2.80 (train) £9.50 (ferry) day returns
Profuse and Grovelling Apology