Ilford railway station was opened on 20 June 1839 by the Eastern Counties Railway, along with the Mile End (temporary London terminus) to Romford section of what was to become the Great Eastern Main Line.
Between 1903 and 1947, trains also ran through to Woodford via the Fairlop Loop, most of which was later transferred to London Underground's Central line.
The triangular junction (Seven Kings being the third point of the triangle) is now the site of carriage sheds and a maintenance depot operated by Bombardier Transportation. Freight trains used the connection from the Fairlop Loop to Seven Kings until 1956.
Travelling south from Newbury Park (courtesy of Google Earth) we see the Central Line plunge into its tunnels ...