The first station was just a wooden train shed ...
From 1879 rope working ceased and steam locomotives worked both up and down the slope to Edge Hill. But by then, it was obvious that the two track tunnel, as well as being almost permanently filled with smoke, had insufficient capacity for the expanding railway.
Accordingly, and with massive expense and disruption, the two track tunnel was opened out to create a four track cutting. This was a huge undertaking as can be seen in the following pictures.
The result is the familiar entrance to Lime Street that enthusiasts drool over ...
Back to the terminus itself.
The clutter in front of the southern train shed was cleared away and replaced by new clutter.
The North Western Hotel has had a varied existence. Closed in 1933, subsequently re-opened - then closed again becoming an ofice block! Its most recent manifestation has been as a hall of residence for John Moores University.
Bet it will be expensive. It always was posh!
Whether for a meal in the Grill Room ...
One of tomorrow's "oddments" will explain what has re-awakened fbb's interest in Lime Street station.