The building on the left is the octagonal "Round Gouse" (Sheffielders were never very good at Geometry!) which was a toll house on the ancient turnpike between Sheffield and Castleton, dating from 1778. Straight ahead is the Norfolk Arms (c. 1840) possibly supplanting and earlier precursor of the Little Chef, providing essential refueling on the chilly moorland journey.
For the record, the stream that courses the length of the Valley is the Porter Brook, apparently an appropriate name for a train leasing company!
City Centre stops are at the top of this aerial view; Charles Street is at "A" and the bus station (departure point of route 4) is centre right. The Ringinglow Bus does call at the centre on its way from the bus station so there is even less reason to force the enquirer to walk to Charles Street.