A picture of the road today is surprisingly matchable.
The Redruth Union workhouse was built in 1838 at Barncoose near Redruth. It was designed by George Gilbert Scott and his partner William Bonython Moffatt. Intended to accommodate 450 inmates, the Poor Law Commissioners authorised the sum of £6,000 on its construction. The workhouse location and layout are shown on the 1906 map below.
Such are still the joys of a privatised deregulated transport system!
The Tramway was offered to the Council, who declined to take it over. The trams and the track were by now worn out and re-equipment was essential if it was to continue. The Directors gave notice of intent to close it on 29th September 1927, and that the 10.30p.m. from each end would be the last to run.
fbb is unable to explain the difference between a "telpher" and its later replacement. The Cornwall Motor Transport Company was eventually swallowed up by Western National whose successors, First Bus, still ply the Camborne Redruth road.
"Tuppence" (2d. or less than 1p) would have inflated to roughly 90p today. Cheaper than First Bus!
Copies of the book are available on-line which is how fbb got his!