Yeovil was first mentioned in about 880 as Gifle. The name was derived from the Celtic river-name gifl "forked river", an earlier name of the River Yeo. The town was recorded in the Domesday Book as Givele, a thriving market community. During the 1800s it was a centre of the glove making industry and the population expanded rapidly. In the early 20th century Yeovil had around 11,000 inhabitants and was dominated by the defence industry, making it a target of German raids during World War II. The worst of the bombing was in 1940 and continued until 1942. During that time 107 high explosive bombs fell on the town; 49 people died, 68 houses were totally destroyed and 2,377 damaged.
And, encouragingly, it is also signposted from the footbridge exit.