Banishing the gloom?
For the first 31 years, the station was jointly used by LNWR and Midland Railway trains. However in 1885 the Midland Railway opened its own trainshed alongside the original one for the exclusive use of its services, effectively creating two stations side-by-side. The two companies' stations were separated by a central roadway; Queens Drive.
Traffic grew steadily, and by 1900 New Street had become extremely busy, with an average of 40 trains an hour departing and arriving, rising to 53 trains in the peak hours. The main entrance was on Stephenson Steet and included the prestigious Queens Hotel.
Shouldn't someone tell Network Rail that the station is being/has been rebuilt?
Because, Network Rail, almost all of this (except the footway) has gone. The old concourse is boarded off and utterly closed; even the pub, once a pleasant watering hole whilst changing trains ...
So the New Street we all knew and loved (?) is no more. What has replaced the gloomy, busy, noisy, smelly from the (diesel) engines' smoke and often crowded station?
Well, happy passengers, half of the new New Street opened on 28th April; fbb visited in May and his assessment of what has happened and what will happen (when it's all finished) will continue tomorrow.