Beeching Closed? Beeching Close?
See Notable Newbury Niceties  (read again)
Continuing north towards Didcot, Compton station did a passably profitable trade in horse boxes from nearby racing stables, then came Churn with no road access.
This was a small and very isolated single platform halt with access only via an unmetalled downland sheep road. It was built as a private station for Sir Robert Loyd-Lindsay, a major sponsor of the line. It was then used by the "public|" as a temporary stop to accommodate a competition held by the National Rifle Association in 1888. However, from 1889 military summer camps were established near to the station which required the use of the halt as the only access to the site. Timetables provided that trains would not call at Churn unless prior notice had been given to the Stationmaster at Didcot.
The final station was Upton and Blewbury and, once again, the station building survives intact in 2012 but with an extension delightfully constructed in the tradition style.
Many other new properties are built on and around the station approach road which is, amusingly, named ...
... Beeching Close after the Great and good Doctor; who either (a) destroyed the railways to the ultimate detriment of our society or (b) saved the railways from complete destruction by recognising the failure of the worst bits and the potential of the best bits. Choose whichever suits your point of view!
Several web sites refer to the closure of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton lines as being made under "The Beeching Axe". In fact both sections of the line were closed to passengers before the Good Doctor's report was accepted as Government Policy; so he can't be blamed in the slightest. Even the subsequent closure for freight was "on the cards" before Dr Richard chose to champion his chopper!
Friday : The seven ages of the bus. Is this a record?