SIDMOUTH (MILL STREET)
Devon general buses had commenced running to Sismouth in July 1921, and in the following year, garage accommodation was rented from Martin's Lavender Garage, in Mill Street (by the junction with Russell Street). Five drivers were based there. The site became insufficient for traffic needs, so accomodation was rented at Newton Poppleford.
So, how did fbb fare with his guess for the location of the Newton Poppleford depot?
A garage in Station Road was rented from Mr. W Potter, who had demolished an existing carpenter's shop, installed petrol pumps and raised the roof so as to enable six buses to be stabled there. The depot was vacated when the purpose-built Woolbrook depot was opened back in Sid,mouth; the premises continue in use as Oak Tree Garage.
The book was written for the Silver Jubilee of the Devon General Society in 2007 and copies are still available from the society's shop. Visit their excellent web site (here).
Meanwhile, enjoy a pic of an ex Devon General bus in a special livery to promote revised route and timetable arrangements ...