... was chased across the river, and the pursuing Roundheads drowned on the English Stones rocks after being assured by the ferryman of the safety of the crossing.
In 1715 the New Passage ferry service was taken over and developed by the Lewis family of St. Pierre, Monmouthshire, allowing it to be used by mail and passenger coaches between Bristol and south Wales. Records show that Charles Wesley had a lucky escape in 1743, when his ship almost foundered in stormy weather.
In 1825 the New Passage Association formed, using the 30-ton steamboat "St Pierre". However, the sponsorship by the Dukes of Beaufort of the Aust ("Old Passage") route, with faster boats and a pier, meant that by 1830 mail coaches were diverted there, and the New Passage declined.
Thus it was that in the early 19th Century, the "new" ferry became "old" whilst the "old" ferry was the new, easy (?) way to get from England (near Aust) to Wales, via England (near Beachley).