The Wadeway is a raised trackway which was used at low tide to cross from Langstone Village to Hayling Island. It was once the most important route for people to get to the island before the bridge was built. Much of the Wadeway is still visible today at low tide. It is now known that it is Medieval in date, probably being built in the mid 14th century. The Wadeway runs in a roughly north to south direction. It is now divided into three different segments after being severed by dredging for the abortive Chichester to London Canal project in the early 1820s.
The Island led a very quiet existence until the mid 1930s, when the first stirrings emerged and it became popular as a seaside resort, with a holiday camp. However, it suffered from a weak road bridge and Southdown purchased two Dennis half-cab Falcons in 1939 ...
... running to and from the island.
However, although the buses themselves were light enough to traverse the bridge, they were only allowed to do so if the vehicle was empty, thus, passengers had to alight and proceed across the bridge on foot, re-joining the bus the other side!
Depending on the type of vehicle used, only some of the passengers had to walk; it is not recorded how the "judgment of Solomon" was delivered and therefore whom was chosen. At one stage a specially "stripped down" bus provided a cross-bridge shuttle.
A new bridge, without restriction, was opened in 1956.